How to Maintain Synthetic Grass and Artificial Turf
Artificial grass and synthetic turf may very well be the bold future of residential and commercial ground covers. Synthetic grass offers a universal, durable, consistent, aesthetic, and workable solution for yards that last for twenty years or more, never needing to be watered, virtually maintenance-free.
The Benefit of Using Synthetic Grass
People love synthetic grass because it looks and feels just like real grass, but without the constant headache of ongoing maintenance. Synthetic grass does not need to be watered. It doesn’t need weeding, fertilizer, insecticides, or pesticides. It doesn’t need to be mowed, trimmed, edged, etc.
Unlike natural grass, synthetic grasses hold up in even the most turbulent of conditions. Running dogs, roughhousing children, terrible weather, floods, droughts, blazing sun, sub-zero temperatures, and so on, none of these factors have an effect on synthetic turf like they do on natural grass sod. Synthetics make for a superior product, durable and lasting, capable of withstanding just about any level of harm and abuse imaginable.
Minimal Maintenance for Artificial Lawns – A Quick Guide
All of that being said, artificial lawns still do incur a small degree of maintenance, tasks that might accumulate to a few hours of work per year. But compare that to the few hours of work per week that the average natural sod lawn takes.
Listed below are the primary maintenance tasks that one would need to do to keep their artificial turf lawn performing well:
- Clean the lawn of stains and discoloration marks. Synthetic turf has a clean and uniform look to it, one of which is hampered when someone spills a food plate or a glass of colored liquid, or when an animal makes a particularly messy bathroom visit. From time to time, it is advised to go over your lawn with a wash bucket mixed with three percent ammonia and warm water. Rinse and lightly scrub any stained or discolored spots to return your lawn to its uniform, perfect state.
- What about pets who urinate on synthetic turf on a regular basis? This isn’t something to worry about, as urine travels down through the permeable layers of turf and into the soil beneath. However, if an odor begins to form, lightly douse the turf in cool water from a garden hose.
- For normal pet excrement, wait until it hardens before removing it. Then, pick it up with a plastic bag or “pooper scooper” and dispose of it. If there is a stain left, lightly spray it off with a garden hose.
- Hosing off your artificial lawn from time to time serves to revitalize the synthetic grass fibers. If you live in an area that gets a lot of rain, this is not needed as often, but a good hosing should still be done once a month.
- Use a plastic-toothed rake specifically designed for synthetic lawns to brush the fibers of your grass one way, then crosswise another way, covering the entire yard in this fashion. Not only does this serve to pull debris, detritus, dead leaves, and other oddments out of the lawn, but it also perks the fibers up and leaves your lawn looking fresh and brand new.
With just these few simple steps, you can have a synthetic lawn that looks great and feels great around the clock.
Contact Smart Scapes LLC for All Your Artificial Grass and Landscaping Needs
When people ask, “Who is the best contractor in Nashville for landscaping and artificial turf?”, we want to be the name that comes to everyone’s minds. At Smart Scapes LLC and Celebrity Greens, we make artificial grass projects that look like the real thing. We pride ourselves in only sourcing USA-made synthetic turfs, and in using the best products on the market. Not only are these American made grass products far superior, but we feel good knowing we are supporting other American businesses.
As for our staff, our design experts have years of experience in designing custom projects out of pure imagination combined with an excellent ability to see in their mind’s eye exactly what the customer wants. And as for our installation technicians, our crews have completed hundreds of well-done synthetic turf projects of all varying degrees of complexity, all with an eye for the details and an appreciation for the aesthetics.
Frequently Asked Questions About Artificial Turf
Got questions about artificial turf? We’ve compiled a brief FAQ below, of the top three questions we hear from our clients the most. If you want more information, have more questions, or would like to schedule a free estimate, check out www.landscapesnashville.com, or call us direct at (615) 422-5263 (LAND).
- Does artificial turf fade?
- Not ours. We only use American made turfs, which are UV protected. Imported turfs have calcium carbonate fillers added to them, which get chalky and fade after one to three years due to UV exposure. But a Smart Scapes LLC lawn is a lawn that will hold its color with consistency, year after year.
- How long does it take to install an artificial turf?
- That depends entirely on the size and complexity of the job at hand. Small or simple jobs can be done in under a week, whereas bigger jobs or more custom-designed projects can take two to three weeks.
- How much does artificial turf cost?
- Again, variety is the spice of life. Artificial turf varies in cost because of the difference in jobs. Design complexities, the size of the project, accessibility to the job site, specific requests from the client, etc., these all influence the price. However, most artificial turf projects run ten to twenty-five dollars per square foot, and that includes the turf, the design, and the installation.
We at Smart Scapes LLC, have partnered with the world-class masters of synthetic grass: Celebrity Greens. This is highly technical and precision work, and not just anybody can do it. Celebrity Greens has been installing high quality synthetic greens in Tennessee for over 20 years.
Call up my friends at Celebrity Greens for a FREE ARTIFICIAL GRASS ESTIMATE – CLICK HERE – or call 1-888-507-7960
- Install a Backyard Putting Green of Your Own
- Artificial Grass for Athletic Turf and Sports Fields
- Artificial Grass for the Best Backyard Experience
- Artificial Turf for Commercial Application
- Driving Ranges and Tee Boxes – Our Synthetic Solution
- How to Install a Backyard Putting Green
- How to Maintain Synthetic Grass and Artificial Turf
- Playground Synthetic Turf – Creating the Perfect Play Area
- Short Courses – Putting Green Installations for Any Home
- Synthetic Turf for Backyard Golf Courses
- Synthetic Turf for Dog Runs, Kennels, and Backyard Play Areas
- The Benefits of American Made Artificial Grass and Synthetic Turf