Getting Ready for the Perfect Backyard Putting Green—A Guide
If you’re a regular golf enthusiast, you’ve probably felt on more than one occasion that there just doesn’t seem to be enough time in the week to spend at the golf course. Wouldn’t it be nice if we could live at the country club and golf every day? Well, using the most realistic artificial grass technology, we can now install artificial putting green grass right in our own backyards. Imagine that! This is every avid golfer's dream come true.
And yes, it sounds like a dream too good to be true maybe, but the reality is this. You can practice your putt game just a few feet from where you lay your head at night. Imagine having a place where you can work on your short and mid-range putts as much as you want, and then being able to wow your friends at the course with your new and improved skill set.
We service Nashville, Brentwood, Franklin, Mount Juliet, Hendersonville, Murfreesboro and neighboring cities in Tennessee.
Give us a CALL: (615) 422-5263 (LAND) or Fill out a form describing your interests.
Putting Green Turf, What is it?
Whoever thought of having putting green turf in their own backyard? Yes, it’s a new idea, certainly. But these are rapidly growing in popularity as every golfer wants the chance to practice golf more often. So to understand how these artificial creations work for backyard use, let’s take a closer look at what they are.
This is a combination of art and science. This is synthetic turf that utilizes cutting-edge design, advanced construction and installation techniques, and the finest turf products to create a signature backyard, unique to your own tastes. The beautiful thing about synthetic turf is that it is highly customizable, so homeowners are able to work with specialist contractors to custom-create the ideal backyard putting green for them.
A Home Putting Green that is Synthetic - How It Works
But how do these fantastic creations actually work? And do they function like regular golf courses? They are very similar to the ones you’re used to from the golf course, except a synthetic one is even more high-tech. Synthetic putting greens utilize a system of high-quality materials to create a course that is aesthetic, durable, and conducive to a one-of-a-kind golfing experience that you get to have right in your own backyard. And you don't have to mow the grass!
Here’s how it works. Picture a full-scale golf course, brought to the scale of a backyard or part of a backyard. A home putting green is constructed removing a fair amount of the existing backyard as the custom tiers, meticulous contours, and perfect undulations of a synthetic putting green require a good amount of fill. Then synthetic turf can be brought in and layered throughout the backyard.
Once the “rough draft” of the home putting green has been formed, expert detailers hedge, etch, remove, add, and otherwise play with the project until it is perfect. Finally, custom-designed synthetic turfs specifically made are installed as a final surface layer, encasing the new backyard in a protective and aesthetic blanket of green splendor. Just like that, your backyard is transformed into your very own private golf course.
An Outdoor Putting Green Using Artificial Grass Equals Little Maintenance
If you’ve ever grown tired of doing yard work and upkeep in your backyard, the added bonus of having an outdoor putting green is, yes, much less maintenance. Artificial green takes care of itself, to a large degree, and whatever maintenance tasks are leftover can be addressed on a service plan with your design and installation contractor.
And that’s just the first of many benefits to having an outdoor putting green in your own backyard. With just a few steps away from your porch you can get in as much practice as you want, every day. Those short putts are often the most difficult for all of us to master, especially when the pressure is on in a highly competitive game. Having your own outdoor green means that you get more time on the course, without actually having to drive to the course.
How to Prepare for Your New Practice Putting Green Prior to Installation
Because installation requires a highly specialized design and process, we recommend following four simple tips prior:
- Design teams will help you create your vision in the form of 3D rendering and other design tools, but try to have an idea of what you want in a practice putting green before you speak with a design team. Even if it’s just a rough idea, thinking in advance of installation is always helpful. This will save you time and money.
- When working with designers to create the perfect synthetic putting green, be sure to think with what types of golf shots you want/like to take the most, and how that might be reflected in your own, customized green. (No need to try and figure out all of the math and geometry behind how that will actually work, that’s what the designers are for!)
- Installation crews want to transform your backyard into the practice putting green of your dreams quickly, so be sure to have the backyard as prepared as possible before installation crews arrive.
- Right before the installation crew arrives, be sure the current grass in your backyard is mowed, that any outdoor furniture is picked up and stored away, and that any children's toys, yard hoses, gardening equipment, yard maintenance tools, and other implements are removed. Also, if you have a sprinkler system, make sure your system is clearly marked as to where it is located, and that the water supply to your system is shut off. Also, make sure not to water your yard for a few days prior to the arrival of the installation crew.
Installation crews will complete your installation with speed and efficiency, and before you know it, you’ll be playing golf like a pro, right on your own property!
The Perfect Golf Putting Green with Lifelike Grass
The perfect golf putting green is the goal, and lifelike grass is the physical manifestation of that goal. At Smart Scapes LLC, our focus is to deliver the perfect golf putting green, to every client, every time.
We specialize in artificial grass, and we can work with any client in any residential environment. Imagine yourself sipping homemade iced tea or lemonade, listing to music from your own sound system, maybe even cooking dinner on your own backyard grill. And imagine being able to do all of this, all while getting a few strokes in. That’s what the perfect putting green is all about, and Smart Scapes LLC is here to help you with just that.
Call today for an estimate and consultation. (615) 422-5263 (LAND).
Frequently Asked Questions
Given that our synthetic turf technology is the newest of the new, our customers often have questions about it. Designing and installing backyard putting greens on residential properties is a relatively new concept. We’re here to get your questions answered, to ensure that you have all of the information that you need before you proceed.
For a quick look at some of the common queries we receive, take a look at our FAQ below:
- Does artificial turf ever heat up in the direct sun?
- Yes, but only in very extreme temperatures. And the better quality the turf product, the more protected it is against the sun. Our turfs are the best, American-made synthetic turfs available. They will only warm up on the very hottest of summer days.
- Is artificial turf protected against storms and other inclement weather?
- Yes! Our customers love synthetic putting greens because they are low maintenance. Even in a heavy, deluge downpour, our putting greens transfer heavy rainfall through the turf and into the drainage system beneath. The turf does this rapidly and efficiently, preventing pools, water runoff, flooding, etc.
- Does artificial turf fade after a few years?
- Cheaper turfs will fade due to extensive sun exposure. Turfs installed by Smart Scapes LLC do not fade. They will retain their color year after year.
- What life-span can I expect from my new backyard putting green?
- The majority of the green, the parts you don’t see, (like the undulations and contouring done beneath the green itself, the drainage system, the sand padding, and so on), will last indefinitely. As for the green itself, it should last twenty years or more.
- How much will a putting green cost?
- As you can probably imagine, this depends quite a bit on the size of the project and its complexity. But for the most part, our putting greens range from fifteen to twenty-five dollars per square foot.
More questions? Just want to talk to a human? Give us a call at (615) 422-5263 (LAND) today.When people ask who is the best landscaper in Nashville, or who designs and builds the best artificial grass putting greens, we hope our neighbors here in Nashville think of Smart Scapes LLC.