A Covered Permeable Patio – Combining Carpentry and Eco-Friendly Hardscaping
Smart Scapes LLC specializes in permeable paver hardscapes, landscaping, retaining walls, gardens, landscape design, custom landscape architecture, and synthetic turf. But did you know that we also build porches, decks, and patios? We have an outdoor living designer and several carpenters on our team, all of whom allow us to provide exemplary service to our clients and truly give them the outdoor paradise they’ve always dreamed of.
In this recent job, we created a permeable patio in the backyard of this Nashville home. But we did much more than that. We also built a hip roof off the back of the house, creating a pleasant covering so our clients could enjoy their new patio rain or shine. We ran power out to the porch and added an extra touch with a modern-looking tray ceiling with custom incandescent light fixtures and a ceiling fan for those warm Nashville afternoons. Now, not only is the new patio eco-friendly due to the permeability of Keystone Eco-CityLock pavers, but the patio offers even more value in that our clients can enjoy their backyard and stay out of any inclement weather all at once.
When people ask, “Who is the best landscaper in Nashville?” we want to be the first name that comes to mind, and we want people to know that we can do more than just landscaping. With our ability to design and build beautiful outdoor living structures, Nashville residents can maximize the use of their property at a fraction of the cost of building an expensive addition.
Designing a Comfortable Back Porch with Permeable Pavers
Our clients wanted a comfortable back porch where they could rest in their backyard on a pleasant morning or afternoon, and to do so with a roof over their heads. So we designed and built an eco-friendly patio with permeable pavers and covered it with an intricately designed roof, complete with tray ceilings and outdoor lighting accents. We designed, built, and installed aesthetic post supports to keep the shelter stable, and we even installed an outdoor ceiling fan and helped our clients decide on appropriate patio furniture.
This Nashville home already featured a pleasant backyard, but with no patio or roof, our clients weren't getting much use out of it. Now they spend time outside everyday thanks to the permeable patio and efficient roof cover.
A Truly Permeable Patio with a Focus on Eco Paving
One of the prime benefits of this project is that it was built with an environmentally conscious approach through eco paving. Smart Scapes LLC is an eco-friendly group, focused on designing and building outdoor living places with an environmentally conservative mindset at the forefront of everything we do.
On this particular patio, when rainwater runs off the hip roof and strikes the pavers below, the water will seep through the pavers. Then the water will filter through the aggregate rock layers of stone we installed beneath the pavers. Finally, the rainwater will find its way into the groundwater. This is an eco-friendly practice because the roof and paving system direct water immediately into the ground below, just as nature intended — no more sending rainwater into a storm drain which is what most paving systems ultimately do.
Furthermore, these eco-friendly patio pavers offer permeability and safety all in one. Permeable paving stones and porous pavers do not accumulate water. Water passes through them and into the soil beneath. That means no standing water or slippery pavers, hence less risk for a slip hazard. Now our clients can move about their backyard with peace of mind, even after a heavy rain, knowing that they are far less likely to slip and fall.
Smart Scapes LLC – More than Just Landscape Design
Smart Scapes LLC has been in business since 1992. Our company is women-owned and minority-managed. We started as a landscape design group, but over the last 27 years we've expanded our product and service offerings to include more landscaping services, synthetic turf services, a variety of hardscaping offerings, and outdoor construction projects.
What we noticed over the early years was that our clients would want the full experience in outdoor living. And who could blame them? Nashville is a beautiful place to spend time outside. But that meant our clients almost always wanted more than just landscaping. Our customers would desire paving services too, as well as porch, patio, and deck projects, plus synthetic turf and artificial grass from time to time too. We’d often get questions about paver choices like, “Should I use PaveDrain? Or should I use Keystone?” We’d find ourselves, as landscapers, getting into conversations about Belgard Aqua Bric pavers, Aqualine pavers, and Pavestone pavers.
For several years now, Smart Scapes LLC has been a full-service outdoor living company, providing landscape design, landscape architecture, garden design and installation, eco paving, permeable pavers, pervious asphalt, porous pavement, retaining walls, eaves troughs, tree trimming, patios, porches, decks, gazebos, verandas, pergolas, synthetic turf, artificial grass, putting greens, etc. If its something you want to do to improve the exterior of your home and property, we’re the best contractor in Nashville for landscaping, hardscaping, and outdoor living.
Frequently Asked Questions
When people ask “Who is the best landscaping contractor in Nashville?” or, “Where can I find a landscaper near me?” or, “Where can I find a paving contractor?” or, “Who is the best paver in Nashville?” we hope that Smart Scapes LLC can be the contractor for you.
To help answer your questions, we’ve included a brief frequently asked questions section below. And feel free to call our office anytime at (615) 422-5263 (LAND). Our friendly and knowledgeable staff can answer any other questions you might have and get you scheduled for a free estimate on your next landscaping, hardscaping, or outdoor construction project.
- Where can I use permeable pavers?
- You can use them anywhere you would like to create a paved surface. Driveways, parking lots, walking paths, sidewalks, entryways, patios, decks, garden paths, pool surrounds, etc.
- How much weight can permeable pavers take?
- We have yet to find a load heavy enough to damage permeable pavers. These paving systems are built with an interlocking web pattern, so the weight is shared among a network of pavers. That is why permeable pavers rarely crack and traditional asphalt and concrete does.
- How much do permeable pavers cost?
- About 1.5X the cost of traditional asphalt and concrete. However, permeable pavers offer eco-friendly solutions to expensive stormwater management (reducing your costs in that area), and permeable pavers last much longer. It’s an investment that pays off 100 percent of the time.
- What are the best permeable pavers?
- We work with several brands of permeable pavers, but the ones we work with the most are Belgard Aqua Bric pavers, Aqualine, Pavestone, PaveDrain, Keystone, and Unilock.
- How long do permeable pavers last?
- Essentially indefinitely. A well-installed system of permeable paving stones will outlast its owner.
- Are permeable pavers eco-friendly?
- Absolutely. Permeable pavers allow the passage of water through them, effectively creating a direct path for stormwater to travel from the surface of the pavers through them and into the ground beneath, just as nature intended.
- Are permeable pavers safe?
- Absolutely. Since water flows through permeable pavers rather than collecting on top of them, permeable pavers rarely stay wet for long. And given their porous nature, they don't develop a slippery sheen like smooth concrete or asphalt does. That makes for a safe surface even during inclement weather.
Ready to move forward on your next eco-friendly outdoor living project? Naturally curious about what your dream outdoor living area would look like? Reach out to Smart Scapes LLC today at (615) 422-5263 (LAND) to schedule a free, no-obligation estimate.