All About Putting Greens – Install a Backyard Putting Green of Your Own
Creating a home putting green is a combination of design ingenuity, deep knowledge of golf courses, and a professional understanding of artificial grass putting green construction. This is a matter of taking the finest, best quality American-made synthetic turf material, advanced construction methods, and a sharp eye for golf to create a real golf putting green on a residential scale.
What is a Backyard Putting Green?
This is the science, the art of taking a full-scale golf course and sizing it down to fit right in your own backyard. This takes exceptional attention to detail, a premier knowledge of the golf industry, and an equally substantial knowledge of the synthetic turf industry and the types of materials that are available to us.
These are not mini golf or putt-putt golf courses, by the way. These are championship quality putting greens, scaled down to fit in one’s own backyard, hence the term “backyard putting green.” These golf courses have all of the same features of the full-scale course down at your local country club. But for this course, you never have to leave your home to enjoy it, and you have the entire course to yourself, 24/7.
What Does a Putting Green Turf Look Like?
A home putting green will have all of the features that a full, PGA-certified golf course would have, sized to match the scale of a residential or commercial property. On your own putting green turf, you can have the following characteristics designed into a custom backyard golf course:
- Expertly designed short courses.
- Sand traps built into the putting green.
- Water hazards.
- Stacked sod bunkers and rolling undulations.
- Specific elevations and tiers sized to your preference.
- Perfect contours and rolls for the best golf game experience.
How Do Outdoor Putting Greens Work?
An outdoor putting green is made with one part expert knowledge, one part years of experience in building such courses, and one part a natural love for the game of golf itself. Outdoor putting greens work because of the designer's immaculate attention to detail, and the installation crew's insistence on making each backyard green completely custom-built to that property and environment.
As for how these synthetic putting greens work, they work much as full golf courses do. A significant amount of design effort is done first to properly assess, measure, and analyze your property to determine how best to install a putting green there. Next comes the construction, which involves removing much of the existing yard and bringing in a great deal of topsoil, synthetic turfs, edging products, sand materials, water hazard implements, etc. After a great deal of contouring, smoothing, grading, and building, the final product is overlaid with the finest quality synthetic turfs available on the market. Voilà, a brand new putting green ready for endless hours of enjoyment by you, your family, and your friends.
How can Smart Scapes LLC Help You with Your Home Putting Green?
A home putting green requires the skills of master designers who have an expert knowledge of landscaping, who know how to use 3D design software, and who understand the complexities of golf course design. It takes professional installation crews who hold a strong attention to detail as their guiding principle. And last but not least, it takes an ability for the contractor to work closely with the client to make what was once just a dream into the real thing.
Smart Scapes LLC meets all of these qualifications and then some. We have more than twenty years of experience in high-end residential and commercial landscaping and design services. We offer any and all services in custom-built landscapes and hardscapes, unique to our clients’ vision. We are the contractors for designing and building a home putting green.
Frequently Asked Questions About Backyard Putting Greens
You probably have some questions. The concept of designing and installing a backyard putting green on one’s own property is a relatively new one, so questions are to be expected. Take a look at our FAQ below for more data on putting green installation:
- Does artificial turf get hot?
- Only in the most extreme of temperatures. The better quality the synthetic turf product, the more resilient it is to a particularly hot sun. We use the best American-made synthetic turf on the market, so it will take a very hot day to make this turf hot to the touch.
- How does artificial turf hold up in the rain and other inclement weather?
- The hallmark of artificial putting greens is the low-maintenance factor of such grasses. Our custom-built backyard greens can handle plenty of deluge downpours, as the putting green naturally transfers the water through the green, through the drainage system, and into the ground beneath.
- Does artificial turf fade?
- No. Artificial turf is UV stabilized to retain its color year after year.
- How long does an artificial putting green last?
- The putting construction itself will last essentially indefinitely. This refers to all of the undulation and contour work beneath the green. As for the greens themselves, most greens require very little maintenance, but as long as they are maintained, these greens will last at least twenty years or more.
- How much does a putting green cost?
- This is a tough question to answer, as every project is entirely different and unique from every other project, and many factors influence the overall price. But on average, most backyard putting greens range anywhere from fifteen to twenty-five dollars per square foot, again depending on the complexity of the project at hand.
We hope this FAQ helped to answer some of your questions about putting greens. If you have more questions or need design ideas, check out our full-length information articles, our project pages, our testimonials, images, and videos at our site, landscapesnashville.com, or call us at (615) 356-0139 today. When asking who designs and builds the best artificial putting greens, Smart Scapes LLC strives to be number one. We hope to hear from you soon!