Contending with Ice – How to Keep the Ice Threat Off of Your Commercial Property This Winter
When we think of the coming winter, almost all of our attention on our parking lots, driveways, sidewalks, entryways, and porches goes to the coming snow. Snow is the one that gets the most of our attention. It’s winter’s worst four-letter word. But it would surprise our readers and customers to know that snow is not your worst enemy when winter rolls around.
Snow buildup has its risks and its detriments, certainly, but ice is your true enemy when Jack Frost comes to call. Let’s take a look at the risk that ice presents, and how Smart Scapes LLC can help you reduce that risk.
The Risk of Ice
Did you know that more people fall and hurt themselves on the ice than in the snow? And did you know that even though ice buildup is not as frequent of an occurrence as snow buildup is, slipping and falling on the ice is still more common than falling on the snow is? In the bigger picture of all of the threats and dangers that the winter months bring, ice is responsible for more accidents, injuries, collateral damage, car accidents, and burdens on our homes and commercial properties than any other factor.
Let’s take a look at some statistics, directly cited below from powerblanket.com and from the Bureau of Labor Statistics:
- “One million Americans are injured due to slip and fall injuries annually. The risk of slip and fall injuries increases dramatically during winter months.”
- “In 2014, there were 42,480 workplace injuries and illnesses involving ice, sleet, or snow that required at least one day away from work to recuperate.”
- “Among these injuries and illnesses were 34,860, or 82 percent, that were due to falls on the same level (that is, not from falls from heights or through surfaces).”
- “Between 1990 and 2006, approximately 195,000 people in the U.S. were treated in a hospital emergency room because of injuries acquired during snow shoveling.”
No wonder why so many people feel those winter blues come around when the temperature drops and the skies start to cloud over! This is a season of slipping, falling, and all-around cold, achy bones. But what if you could reduce that risk, and keep your commercial business or small box franchise store completely free and clear of ice, all winter long? Smart Scapes LLC can help you with this.
The Benefits of Ice Removal and Deicing Services
When most people think of ice removal and deicing services, they think of buying bags and bags of driveway salt. Or they think of all those fancy, DIY home remedies for snow and ice melt, like combining dish soap, rubbing alcohol, and water and spreading that on one’s driveway. But when you own a commercial property with a large parking lot, or when you have a franchise for a small box store, or when you manage a bank, pharmacy, or other mid-sized commercial building, addressing the threat of ice in the wintertime becomes too large a task to complete on your own.
This is where Smart Scapes LLC comes in. We are a lot more than just a couple of guys in snow plow trucks. We’re snow and ice removal technicians. Our ice removal services incorporate all of the tricks of the trade, from immediate deicing services to removing current ice from a commercial property’s parking lot, sidewalk, and entryway. The last thing that you want is a customer to slip and fall on the ice, hurting themselves, hurting your heart, hurting your business’s reputation, and potentially hurting your business’s viability with an expensive lawsuit on top of it all.
And Smart Scapes LLC takes our ice removal services a step further. We also offer ice prevention, as we are able to utilize snow and ice pretreatments on your various paved surfaces, such as parking lots, sidewalks, and entryways. These pretreatments quite literally prevent the buildup of ice, keeping all of the ground level walking surfaces on your commercial property safe for walking on all through the winter months.
The Risk of Ice Dams – Finding Companies that offer Ice Dam Removal and Ice Dam Prevention Services
When we think about ice, we usually look down. But did you know that you also need to look up? Depending on the roof structure of your commercial building, the buildup of ice dams might be a risk for you. Ice dams are pesky buildups of ice in the valleys of roofs, on the edges, and over the sides of the eaves of roofs. Ice dams are formed as heat escapes the roof of a structure, causing the snow on the roof to melt and then refreeze once again, overnight, when temperatures drop. This process creates a serious hazard, a large body of ice suspended on and over the edge of a roof. As one can imagine, such a hazard could be lethal should it fall on an unsuspecting employee, customer, or passerby.
Our ice dam removal technicians are able to come out to your commercial property, assess any ice dams, and remove them with a combination of deicing solvents, physical tools, and a great degree of care, caution, and dexterity. We are also able to offer ice dam prevention services, by pretreating your commercial building’s roof and eaves so that ice dams do not build up. We use cutting-edge technology in ice melt and deicer products, so no more corrosive salt or dirty sand to muddy up your parking lot and your customers’ footwear.
Preparing for Ice Removal and Ice Dam Prevention Services – Two Tips for Getting Your Property Ready for Our Technicians
Are you ready to conquer the winter this season, and make your commercial property safe of snow and ice? Read on for two quick tips on how to prepare your commercial lot for our expert ice removal and prevention technicians:
- The first step is to ensure that all vehicles are removed from your parking lot prior to the arrival of our ice removal technicians. We want to address every area of your property that has ice on it, and if a car is blocking access to an area, we will not be able to treat that area.
- Our equipment for removing ice and applying ice pretreatments can be quite extensive, so before we arrive, ensure that your parking lot is accessible, with nothing blocking access into and out of the property.
Scheduling for ice melt services and ice pretreatments is filling up fast, so be sure to get your business front and center in our schedule by calling Smart Scapes LLC today at (615) 356-0139.
Frequently Asked Questions – Understanding Our Snow Removal Process
We get a lot of customers who say, “Snow removal services in Nashville? How does that work?” Being that Nashville is in the mid-south, when we do get snow and ice, it comes on fast and it hits hard. This is why residents and business owners alike need to be prepared.
But in that same token, the honest truth is that most Nashvillians are not prepared, not at all. They think they moved to the Deep South, and that they'll never have to worry about snow and ice again. And that couldn't be further from the truth. Nashville does not have as long of winters as the Midwest or East Coast, but we get winters, we get snow, we get ice, and all of that combined creates big problems for homeowners and business owners if they haven't signed up for snow removal services, ice melt services, and ice pretreatments.
So when people ask, “Who is the best snow removal contractor in Nashville?” we want Smart Scapes LLC to be the name on everyone's mind. We get to that position of Number One by not only offering excellent, reliable, and fast service, but by also informing our customers on the snow removal process, i.e., what it takes to remove snow and ice in Nashville. To get some of your questions answered right off the bat, read on to our FAQ:
- Do you use rock salt for deicing?
- We do not. Rock salt is not only harmful and corrosive to asphalt and concrete surfaces (it causes pitting and cracking) but rock salt is also harmful to the environment. Our team uses potassium/sodium chloride and other eco-friendly agents to take care of snow melt and deicing.
- What kind of training do your snow removal crews receive?
- Our teams receive a stringent degree of training upfront. For one thing, all of our employees on our snow removal team have state-issued licensing to operate snow plow trucks and other snow removal equipment. At Smart Scapes LLC, we don't subcontract out our snow removal services, so all of our work is completed in-house. Furthermore, our employees participate in annual training seminars to stay up-to-date on current snow and ice removal best practices.
- How do you monitor sites 24/7 to ensure rapid service?
- We have special software programming that monitors weather patterns geo-tagged to the sites where we provide service. When there is a chance of inclement weather at any of our service sites, we receive a notification of that oncoming inclement weather. In this way, we are able to schedule our snow removal team in advance of bad weather.
- When do you take care of on-site snow and ice removal?
- Very early in the morning, before normal business hours for most businesses. Our goal is to have all our sites serviced between 5:00 a.m. and 8:00 a.m.
- Do I or one of my employees or representatives need to be present when services are rendered?
- Not at all. After our initial consultation and overview of services needed, our snow removal crews will be instructed on what exactly is required for your property. Then you can just sit back, relax, and rest easy knowing that your snow removal, ice pretreatments, and deicing are being expertly taken care of for you.
Ready to get signed up for snow and ice removal? Still have questions?
Call our office today at (615) 356-0139 to learn more. One of our staff will gladly answer your questions or get you scheduled for a free estimate.
We provide Commercial and Residential Landscaping Services in these Areas