Synthetic Turf for Backyard Golf Courses
Synthetic turf is the present and the future of grasses, yards, and lawns. The technology for synthetic turf has flourished and grown so much in the last few years that we can now do just about anything with our yards. From playground turf to pet turf, athletic use, general family use, commercial use, use as a durable dog run, use in sports fields and as backyard golf courses, we can do much with artificial turfs that we would not ordinarily be able to accomplish with traditional grasses and sods.
When we build custom backyard golf courses, we combine science and art, with a sprinkle of ingenuity for good measure. And it all starts with a vision, a design, and the experience and know-how to create a masterpiece right in one’s very own backyard.
What is Synthetic Turf?
Just looking at the materials which go into a backyard golf course is a fascinating lesson of its own. Synthetic turf is a grass-like ground cover, designed and manufactured to replicate natural grass in both appearance and function. As a landscape cover, synthetic turf serves to provide all of the benefits of natural grass and sod, but with a low maintenance product that is weed-free. This is a product that doesn’t need to be watered or fertilized and which is available in a variety of styles, colors, price points, etc.
What Kind of Turf is Needed for an Artificial Putting Green?
Synthetic turfs are made from all kinds of materials, but only the highest-quality turfs are suitable for an artificial putting green. For example, mid-grade artificial turfs are made with plastic and jute, whereas high-quality, artificial turfs are constructed with a top-grade polyester tire cord for the backing. The fibers used in high-quality synthetic turfs are made from polypropylene.
An artificial putting green needs to be constructed from the best materials possible so that the green can hold its shape and give you hours of enjoyment for years on end. For this reason, only UV protected, durable, warrantied, and water-permeable turfs are used for putting greens.
Can You Imagine Your Very Own PGA-Grade Artificial Grass Putting Green?
Imagine yourself standing in the shade, sipping a cool beverage on your porch, and then taking just a few steps to reach your own, private artificial grass putting green. No more getting into the car and fighting traffic, just to get in some tee time down at the country club. No more paying exuberant premiums to have access to your favorite hobby. And no more having to explain to the missus why golf has to take up so much of your time.
With your own artificial grass putting green, custom-designed and installed to your exact specifications and put together on your very own property, you can get in some quality time with your golf clubs any time of the day or week. If you have questions, read on. If you’re ready to move forward with your own backyard putting green, call Smart Scapes LLC today at (615) 422-5263 (LAND).
Frequently Asked Questions About Synthetic Turf for Home Putting Greens
We know you probably have a lot of questions about synthetic turf, especially if you are considering investing in an artificial putting green turf for your own property. So we’ve included a few frequently asked questions below, culled from the top questions that we get on home putting greens on a regular basis:
- What is the difference between U.S.-made turf and imported turf?
- It’s night and day. Right off the bat, U.S.-made artificial turfs do not have cheap fillers like calcium carbonate added to them, which is good because calcium carbonate makes foreign turfs look good at first, but then wanes under UV light and adopts a cheap, chalky appearance instead. U.S.-made turf does not do this. U.S. turf is also recyclable. And last but not least, U.S. turf is composed of safe, non-toxic plastics.
- What is the price of artificial turf?
- Installed, artificial turf varies quite a bit in price, depending on what kind of project you want to accomplish. But for the most part, most synthetic greens run from fifteen to twenty-five dollars per square foot.
- Does artificial turf get a smell to it from pet odors?
- This is one of the most common questions that we get. One of the first concerns that anyone has when they’re contemplating replacing their backyard with a synthetic turf putting green is, “Will my dog mess it up by going potty?” The answer is no. Like regular grass, a good rain shower or a gentle spray from a nearby garden hose washes away any staining or smudging in your synthetic turf, leaving it good as new. Just remove the majority of your pet’s excrement as you normally would, and let Mother Nature take care of the rest.
- How does artificial turf stand up to harsh weather?
- Speaking of rain showers, another question we hear a lot is in regards to inclement weather. No one wants to invest in a custom-built putting green only to have a particularly bad storm wash it all away. But just like with the PGA-certified golf courses, our synthetic backyard putting greens are built with water drainage systems beneath the artificial turf, allowing stormwater to seep naturally through the turf, through the drainage system, and into the ground beneath.
- Does artificial turf come with a warranty?
- For the most part, yes. Be aware that some imported turfs do not pass certain specifications to qualify for a warranty (another reason to buy local). Be sure to check with your contractor before moving forward with an artificial turf installation project for a home putting green, to be certain that the turf is fully warrantied.
If you have more questions about artificial putting greens and the types of synthetic turfs that we use to make them, feel free to visit our website at landscapesnashville.com. Or you can reach us direct at (615) 422-5263 (LAND). When asking who does the best synthetic putting greens in Nashville, Smart Scapes LLC strives to be at the top. We hope to hear from you soon!